Only 15 days and I will be flying to Manila!
It's all very surreal, but I can't wait. I'm doing as much research as possible, but there is still a lot to get done. First of all, since I am training new employees over there, I have to do some crash courses myself to make sure I am fully ready. That means a lot of extra reading in my spare time, and making sure I know what each and every little thing means - all the acronyms, etc. I plan on making my own massive cheat sheet, just in case I get stumped. :) So, work will be absolutely insane the next two weeks (I may start twitching, please just ignore...that is my brain on overload).
Other than work, still loads to do!! I'm in the process of getting my passport renewed and expedited ASAP! I should have it by the end of the week (so that gives an extra week of wiggle room in case mail go awry). I also need to get my immunizations! Typhoid, flu shot, Hep A, etc. I have most of them, but still need some.
I don't have load of money to spend on my trip, but these are the things I'd like to buy before I go:
Travel toiletries (ALL OF THEM)! I hear the women in the Philippines do not use tampons, only pads. Hell to the NO! I'm sure since I'll be in Manila, a modernized city, that I may find them, but I won't take my chances. I've also heard that in places other than your hotel/office, that toilet paper may be unavailable. Hell to the NO again! I'll be carrying around those travel size kleenex packs, so just in case, I'll be able to have some TP. Oh dear. :)
Light and cool clothing - Some of my stuff works, but not really for the tropics. Luckily all I really need is a few things, and I'm hitting up the thrift stores around town to do so.
I've already bought a travel journal! :D
Travellers Checks - need to go to my bank. I've also just applied for another credit card. I want all the back up I can get, just in case - hopefully that credit card will go untouched. I am incredibly optimistic about this trip, but all know that bad things can always happen, and I want to be in the best shape possible. WHAT IF all communication lines go down and I need to get out of there but have no way of contacting my employer?? Yeah, I will need a lot of back up plans.
Altogether, I am so excited, and feel incredibly blessed that I get this opportunity. I hope you enjoy following my blog. The next 15 days will be all about preparation and maybe some venting (good and bad). :) But once I'm there, this blog will EXPLODE with pictures and stories! Can't wait!!
Salamat Po ("Thank you" in Tagalog - the language of the Philippines)
Kelly
So excited for you!
ReplyDelete